Re: TR4 lower trunion tech note

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 lower trunion tech note
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:59:50 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Back at ya, Brad:

<snip>

> ...the lower wishbone arm bushings reamed to match the trunnion pins.  After
>pressing the bushings in they just don't quite fit.

Yes, the outer bushes on the wishbones must be reamed to fit. I have a
local auto parts store that handled that, but lost one pair of the
bushings so I had to re-order those. One of the lost pair was too small
and didn't fit either wishbone anyway!

<snip>

> > Finally, where the vertical link threads into the trunnion,

Also measure the dimension how far the vert. link is threaded into the
trunnion before taking it apart! With one or two turns too much or too
little you'll have the front end out of whack. There may be a good
measurement for this in the fact. manual, I got my manual since I did
that job. But it's easier to just make careful note of it first. I also
did one side at a time, so I could compare during reassembly.

> > I'm still trying to decide whether to drill the new trunnions to accept a
>cotter pin

<snip>

> Mine came drilled for the castle nut and the pins (I think!).

I hope so, I have a lot more confidence in the cotter pin fix.

>  Who did you buy your parts from?

Most of my stuff came from Moss. Very quick delivery, which was good
when I needed two more bushings and all those extra shims I hadn't
ordered originally.

Drop a note if any questions come up.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.