Re: GT6/Spit. conversions

To: LBPB1@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6/Spit. conversions
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:46:49 EST
In a message dated 2/21/99 7:57:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, LBPB1@aol.com
writes:

> Along that same line
>  ......we found an early 70s jag at the bone yard and bought the rear end
out
>  of the thing. It has all the suspension mounts and chunk as well as the
hubs
>  in one complete unit. Since it was a heavy car pushed by a V12 we thought
> that it might hold up under higher hp than the original chunk. has anyone
done
> this  conversion or does anyone have a better susgestion?

The Jag rear end setup is quite often used under street rods with 400 -500 or
more horsepower, so you shouldn't have any trouble with it surviving in your
application. Actually, I doubt if you could get the tires to grip enough to
break one of these, no matter how much HP you have. There are about a half
dozen or so companies specializing in this unit, modifying it to fit just
about any car, so it should be a good setup for you. You can get it modified
for any width you want. (I just happen to have one sitting in my shop right
now as well, just looking for an application - in an MGB, perhaps? - I've been
told it is a fairly easy installation in an MGB)

My guess is there are many thousands of these in use now in street rods and/or
hot rods. Next time you are at your favorite book store, pick up a copy of
Street Rodder magazine and browse through the ads - in particular, check out
CWI (Concours West Industries), as they are probably the largest supplier of
modified Jag units. Want one to take 2000 HP? They got 'em!  Want one in
chrome and polished stainless? They got 'em!  Billet aluminum?  With a 9" Ford
pumpkin? Yup, they got 'em!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/