refinishing steering wheels...

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: refinishing steering wheels...
From: Cliff Pike <cpike@cpass.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:47:19 -0500
Listers,
I have two TR3A steering wheels that I would like to
refinish, as they have lost their original finish and have
some cracking. I have looked at a few websites that offer
this service but would like to tackle the job myself.
  The replacement wheels I have seen have had a very shiny
finish. Did the original wheels look like this? Does anyone
know what kind of preparation prior to painting might be
required, and what paint would be best to use. I was
thinking some kind of epoxy paint would be suitable, and a
sandable epoxy filler to repair the cracks.
Thanks again to all on the list who have answered my
questions in the past. I'm in a major learning curve here,
and at some point in the future I hope to reciprocate...
TIA
Cliff Pike
58 TR3A TS30767LO  project
59 TR3A TS47064L  future project / donor
60 TR3A TS64232L  donor
66 Spitfire4 MKII FC85163  driver
64 Spitfire4 donor (for now)

--