Re: Where Do I Put the Body?

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Where Do I Put the Body?
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:00:51 +0000
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tom

With both my TR4 and my TR2 I adopted the same approach.  I got some 4 by 2
wood and four castors.   Using offcuts of the 4x2 I made spacers so that I
could
attach two long pieces of 4x2 to the central body mounting points. I put the
caastors
underneath so that I could wheel the bodyshell around easily.   The 4x2
stuck out by about 6 to 9 inches either side of the body, so I could tilt
the body on its side by using the near side of the 4x2 as a lever and the
far side as a fulcrum.   The body then rested on the wood and nothing was
bent.   I could easily tilt the body shell myself (knees bend !) and it
meant that I could weld the underside with no problem.
If you take a look at
http://members.tripod.com/~BrianJohnson_UK/page120.html
you will see the body as it is being moved about.   I have some photos of it
on its side too , but they are not yet on my web pages.    As you will see,
I also braced the door gaps with 1 inch square tube, although I have not yet
done this on my TR2 bodyshell, and it is at this moment leaning on its side
against the garage wall with no (I hope) ill effects.

Remember though, if you are putting on new sills, it is probably better to
put them on before you remove the bodyshell from the car, so that the
alignment stays OK.   The same goes for the floor I think, though I repaired
mine in situ.

Cheers
Brian Johnson

Internet bjohnson@myself.com (work) or b.johnson@lycosmail.com(home)

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O ) ex USA
1954  TR2   46 BHX               TS554-O   UK Car in pieces
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI   - Eurobox  but it goes !