Re: TR6 Tires

To: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Subject: Re: TR6 Tires
From: "G. Ganoung" <gg07165@spectra.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 16:44:26 -0500
Cc: rcarley@uoguelph.ca, robertla@interchange.ubc.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Day.John@fin.gc.ca wrote:

> You're probably echoing the common sentiment, Bob. I have been running on
> Michelin XAS ('the redline without the red line') since I got my car in
> 1979, and have not really had anything to complain about. I have a
> half-dozen redlines in the garage from parts cars, and I've kept them since
> they are the proper size, but a neighbour put a set of 185-15 Avons on his
> car, and they look and handle superbly! Redlines have a terrible reputation,
> particularly in the wet, as do all Michelin Xs since day 1 (from the
> anniversary issue of the TR Register, I recall a reproduction of the first
> Register newsletter from 1970 having an article by Ken Richardson on that
> very subject!). If concours points is the concern, keep a spare set on rims,
> otherwise play safe!

I have a set of redlines on my '74 TR6 turned red wall in; on the car
since '79.  I don't care for the looks of the redwalls.  They are just
starting to dry rot, but I have gotten very good mileage out of them,
with probably 20k more to go, due to hard rubber compound probably.
( which might explain why they handle so poorly.)  Any offers out

You all are right, they are  dangerous in the wet and even on the dry
they are certainly not handling champs.  I'm gonna replace them with
something that handles better.
Anybody interested in buying them?