Re: plastic tran. cover

To: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: plastic tran. cover
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:53:20 +0000
Gary

I had trouble when I fitted a   Triumph 2000  Overdrive gearbox to my 4.  The
angle drive I had to use was sticking in to the gearbox cover.    I slit the
cover to make it open up and fitted it by heating the plastic slightly (gently
with a gas torch !) and 'moulding' it so that it was not touching the angle
drive . After fitting the cover I stuck 2 inch black  tape over the hole.   Hey
presto no  air leaks.  Whatever you do though, don't cut out the part of the
cover that looks as though the cable will pass along it.  I may be wrong but I
think that this is there for a TR4A (and 5 and 6 ?) speedo cable,  (unless your
car is a TR4A-5-6 of course.)   The handbrake  gasket seems to have a piece
that fits into the cover, but I could never make it fit !  As it doesn't cover
anything I see no reason to make a cut in the gearbox cover.   I did but I
stuck it back and taped it.

Of course if anyone else has managed to fit the assembly correctly - we would
be interested to know how !!
--
Cheers
Brian Johnson

Internet bjohnson@mmm.com (work) or b.johnson@diamond.co.uk(home)

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O ) ex USA
1954  TR2   46 BHX               TS554-O   UK Car
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI