TR4A Brakes

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A Brakes
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 15:05:56 EST
Listers:

I've had this 65 4A since the early eighties but it has sat on blocks for
about ten years except for a couple of moves. About a year and a half ago, I
decided to get it back on the road. Prior to its long hiatus, the only thing
that needed fixing were the brakes. So I started. One thing led to another and
I am about to put the tub back on the frame. A brake job ended up a frame off
restoration.
Anyway, the first thing I'm doing when the frame meets the rest of the car is
the brake job that started all of this. Now the first question is really
simplistic - I took the master cylinders and support bracket out at the
beginning of this process (1 1/2 years). Now as I get set to put them back, I
notice that the cylinders tilt downward toward the front. The pictures in
Haynes and Ball look level. Am I seeing things? Did something bend? Does it
matter?
Now, only slightly more technical. I've done several disc brake jobs in the
past, but no drums. I want to replace the wheel cylinders but am not clear on
the directions to prise apart the retainer, etc. Is this just a matter of
pressure. They're very rusty but, as I said, I'm going to put entirely new
cylinders in anyway. Anyway, how exactly do I get these things off?
TIA