Re: rings

To: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Subject: Re: rings
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:12:21 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
rtriplett@bjservices.com wrote:

> >Yes I have run into the gap problem. Order rings for a bore .010 >larger
> >than yours and carfully file them down to the correct (.004/in of >bore)
> >gap.

> BPNW sells rings (I forget the brand) that have no gap at all.  You file
> them to size.  A Dremel tool with emory wheel works great.  I am very happy
> with mine.

These are most likely Deves rings. They do have a gap, but the ends of
the rings, I believe, are sectioned and lap over each other, forming a
better seal. Any other rings, with butted ends, have to have the gap
properly sized--otherwise, the ends press against each other and break
the ring as they grow from temperature increase.

Cheers.