TR4A speedo seizure

To: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A speedo seizure
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:18:11 -0500
Here is a strange one for you guys.

I was trying to fix my wavering speedo needle.  I figured that the cable
needed lubing.  So, I did that.  Still wavered.  I saw that the
cable had been sitting on the exhaust and had the outer plastic
burned.  I replaced the cable.  I also saw that the angle drive
on the transmission (TR6 overdrive tranny) was REALLY stiff, so I
cleaned the gears and that made it quite smooth.  I hooked up the
cable and speedo and it worked BEAUTIFULLY.  No waver at all.  It
was solidly on the mark.

For 10 miles.....

Then the speedo dropped to zero.

The new cable did not fit well, and I was waiting for a new one
intended for a TR6 OD not a 4A OD.  69" vs 96".

So I pulled the angle drive and found the input cable of it was
twisted off.  I figured that the bad new cable caused binding and made it
break.  SO, my ingenious mechanic was able to service this sealed unit
and it was PERFECT.  Better than new.  We hooked it up and took a drive.

NO READING ON THE SPEEDO AT ALL!

OH OH.....

Took off the angle drive and the input cable stub was twisted off again!

I suddenly had a sinking feeling in my gut....  The speedo was seized....
I took it out and sure enough the part where the cable attaches would not budge!

That input bushing on the speedo was seized.  The needle still moved freely,
but not the part that turns the magnet.  I had to swap my guts to a new
speedo frame and now it is good again.  Unfortunately, it is not so easy to
fix the angle drive again.....  I may be in need of a new one.

Just a heads up for when YOUR speedo reads zero!

I'll tell how I did the initial speedo calibration in another post.

-Tony