More on engine rings

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on engine rings
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 07:40:45 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
My machinist, mostly a "merrican hot rod/dragster kind of guy, showed me a
set of malleable steel rings, claiming they were the best.  As an example he
took standard cast iron rings and, as many of us have done, snapped them in
two by bending them.  He then showed me a ductile ring, which could be bent
into a pretzel, claiming they were great rings.

My Mahle piston/liner set came with Deves.  I made sure of that before
buying, so I wasn't interested enough to take down the brand name of this
$80 set of rings, but is anyone familiar with these?

BTW - last time I was in this machine shop, he was boring a pair of high
nickel V-8 boat engine blocks from GM, he claimed would be approx. 800 HP
each when he was done.  Big Bores, very shallow skim cuts, 12 hours of
machining for each bank of four cylinders.  Oh yeah, they both went in one
boat.  The serial numbers on them, from GM, were 067 and 068.

....and my wife wondered how I could spend 4 hours in a machine shop
talking. Not me, I wasn't talking....I was LISTENING.    ;-)

Jack