Speedo Drive Gear Question

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo Drive Gear Question
From: "Daniel Elder" <Vitesse6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:19:47 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
To all,
My recently completed frame off restoration on '64 Sports 6 has hit it's
first snag. After traveling about 350 miles the speedo quit. After checking
the easy stuff and ruling out cable and speedo, I pulled the trans tunnel to
replace what I thought was a bad nylon driven gear.  It was OK also. It
turns out that the drive gear on the main shaft has come loose and slid off
it's raised shoulder on the shaft. It's a nylon gear on a metal sleeve which
gets pressed onto the shaft.  The nylon is perfect as is the shaft but the
metal sleeve in the gear is a bit scored from "freewheeling" on the shaft
behind where it belongs. I have a spare gear in an extra transmission which
I can use for replacement but I'm curious if anyone has a guess why this
happened in the first place. I don't want a repeat performance. For what
it's worth, I did a total rebuild on this transmission about 4 years and
less than 5,000 miles ago when it was in another car. It works flawlessly in
every way except this problem and the speedo worked correctly for the 4
years leading up to this problem.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Dan in Tampa
ps: I discovered that you can remove the tail housing from the trans WITHOUT
removing the trans. I unhooked the exhaust, prop shaft, and trans mounts and
then used a jack to raise the transmission. This allowed me to undo the
bolts holding the tail housing and ,after removeing the speedo drive, remove
the housing. This is a huge improvement over pulling the transmission thru a
newly restored interior. I hope to be able to replace the speedo drive gear
and put things back together in similar fashion. I'll let you know.