Clutch Shaft Wear (fwd)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Shaft Wear (fwd)
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:16:59 GMT

Another qearbox question,

I noticed the the clutch shaft that carries the fork is galled where it rides
on the bearing inserts. This the TR4A type without grease fitings. I have new
bearing inserts but they are not going to work very well if the are riding on
the worn out area. I assume this is not a new problem. What is the
conventional widom here. I can try to find a new shaft assembly... or steal
one from another early TR4 backup gearbox that I have stashed. One
alternative was to insert the new bearings deeper into the housing than the
ones that are coming so that the new bearing can risde on a new spot. TIA

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4 CT16260L - Groton, MA
sanborn@net1plus.com