TR 6 starting problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 6 starting problems
From: John Summers <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:29:58 -0500
Ok guys & gals, my '74 TR 6 (with Stromborg carbs) starts fine the first
time I start it each day.  Some days, however, after I drive a
while,,,,not long distance either, I have to grind and grind to re-start
the thing.  I know that this isn't good for the wireing to the ignition
switch,,,,not good for anything & embarrasing as well.  Anyone have any
ideas?  Would a more powerful ignition improve things?
Also, my exhaust generally smells quite strong and is rather dark in
colour.  Is that a sign of the car running too rich?  Definitely when
the choke is out there is alot of "smoke".
Thanks for the ideas.
John Summers