Re: Surrey Top on TR-6

To: "John F. Browder" <jbrowder@usit.net>
Subject: Re: Surrey Top on TR-6
From: Bob Jones <Jones_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:15:37 -0600
Cc: TR Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John:
Isn't it great, all the traffic about Surry (or Surrey) tops lately.  If it gets
much hotter, we may need to start a special list.  I am now installing a ST on
my TR6 (as I'm sure that some of our fellow listers are tired of hearing, or at
least the questions).  Yes, they look beautiful on the car.  I believe the
reason Triumph discontinued them after the 250 was cost.  After all they had
three separate parts.  Also the US, where most TR6s were slated to go wanted
convertibles, not hardtops, and when they came with one, they didn't come with
the other.  They do fit although some modification is required.  For example you
have to drill out the captive nuts in the rear valance as the rear surround
comes with fixed studs the same size as the convertible top assembly.  Also the
TR6 did not come with the installed fixed nut at the front on each side behind
the door where the rear surround fastens.  Gary Hunter, President of the Central
Florida Triumph Club, has invented some unique fastening straps to get around
this.  Most of the hardtop assembly's were made of steel but the early ones were
alloy.  I have heard that only around 400 were made of alloy.  Either type are
quite rare in the US so if you want one grab any you can find.  Count on around
$1000 to buy the glass, repair and repaint, find bows and have a headliner made,
and buy the rubber and bits and pieces to install(PS: I bought all my bits,
pieces and glass from TRF).  The soft top is another $250 to $300 including the
frame.  I have seen the basic two part assembly from around $250 in poor
condition to $1000 in good condition.  IMHO they make the car look like a
million bucks.  Also they can be used in the winter and you can return to the
soft top in the summer if you wish.