CRANK NUT ~THANKS~

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: CRANK NUT ~THANKS~
From: autoxr@zebra.net (Erik Bjorkner)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:24:38 -0600
I am ecstatically pleased to say I now have the crank nut off.

 I took many of you all's advice and ended up drilling a 1/4 x 2 flat bar for
two (2) crank bolts and wedging it into the engine stand.  I then hammered on
the 4' jack handle I had over the breaker bar.... NOTHING budged except the
engine turned on the stands pivot.  My trusty electric DWALT impact didn't
budge it either (really didn't expect it to as it usually cannot remove lug
nuts some times either).  I was getting already to drill two (2) small holes on
either side and try to split the nut with a cold chisel when I decided to try
some heat.  I got out my little propane and O2 jewelers torch which has a
really small tip and just ran it around the outside of the nut.  Tried the
breaker bar and hammer again......still nothing :( !!  I tried it again with
some more heat and after bending the jack handle with my mallet, I noticed the
handle was at a different angle and the engine hadn't seemed to move!!.. A few
more hits with more enthusiasm and a smile....and I was able to turn it with
just the socket... yep my hand was a tad warm but it's off!!!  I touched the
rear of the pulley to check for heat and it was hot to the touch but not HOT!!!
 Needed to replace the front seal anyway.

I wanted to thank all those who responded, especially in the thread direction
of the nut!!  There were many great ideas out there and I know next time I will
break it lose while it is still in the car and hopefully the starter will do
the work for me!!!

Again   a    BIG    T H A N K S !!!!!!!!!,

Have a nice weekend,

Erik

HAPPY AGAIN!!!!!!