PI petrol tanks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: PI petrol tanks
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:12:51 -0800
I find this latest surge of interest in PI systems for North American cars
is most interesting and welcome!  Being an owner of a TR6 with the Lucas PI
System, I have nothing but praise for it.  Mind you that I did swap out the
Lucas fuel pump and replaced it with a Bosch unit that is feed by a Facet
priming pump.  I kept it all in the same place as the original Lucas pump.
If I were to do it over again, I would place the Bosch pump outside on the
spare tire well and use gravity from the fuel filter.

Now to the topic...  The baffle that is in the early PI tanks, is nothing
more than a 4 -5 inch wide and  about 3 inch deep cup that sits atop the
fuel outlet.  At the bottom of the  cup is a hole to let fuel in when the
tank level gets below the top rim of the cup.  The baffle's stated purpose
is to prevent fuel starvation when cornering at high speeds on a low tank.
For me this is off little consequence because most of my driving is on
freeways or city streets and I never run below a 1/4 tank.  I guess for
those of you who like running a slalom on an empty tank, the baffle might
be a good idea ;-))).  Otherwise, I'm not really positive it would be
necessary.  Also the fuel return lines from the metering unit and pressure
relief valve can be easily brazed into the top of your tank.  I had to
replace my tank and that's what I had done for about $20.00.

I sure do hope to see more PI TR6's on the roads of North America, esp out
here in southern California!

Dave,
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6 PI CP51649