checking Wire Wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: checking Wire Wheels
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:14:03 -0600
Listers,

I'm sorting through the wire wheels that I've got stored in my garage and
would like to determine which ones are worth keeping.  I have a pretty good
idea what the splines should look like both on the hub and on the adapter.
What I'm not sure of is how much "run out" is allowable on a set of wheels.
I've set up a test jig with one of my TR4 front hub assemblies and a WW
hub bolted to it.  The one wheel that I've check out has about 85 thousands
side to side run out and also 85 thousands circular runout.  I would imagine
that this would be to much but have know way of knowing for sure.  The
splines in the WW itself look to be in pretty good shape so the running
appears to be more in the nature of not being "true".   I read through Art
Kelly's article on the VTR site and used his descriptions to verify my hubs
and splines.  If its just truing it would might be worth while sending them to
British Wire Wheel to have that taken care of.

TIA

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108