Bragging Rights?

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bragging Rights?
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:50:21 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I am getting tired of a certain Californian bragging about his climate on
this list and trying to make the rest of us feel badly about where we live.
I'm not going to mention any names, but FRANKly, the CROWEing from this guy
every few months is quite enough.

I have spent lots of time all over California, have family there, and know
it quite well.  What he and the Chamber of Commerce doesn't  mention may
turn you off, and I know people who moved there and moved right out again.

Forest fires.  Termites.  Drought.  Mudslides, where entire houses slide
down hillsides in rainstorms.  Earthquakes along the San Andreas Fault --
the whole state may fall off into the Pacific some day.  (no loss!)  Daily
gridlock on the freeways.  Santa Ana winds along the coast.  I woke up in a
hotel in Santa Monica one morning with 1/8th inch of sand all over the floor
that had blown in under the door.

To be fair though, it is a gorgeous state, and I have seen more nice old
cars on the roads than anywhere else.  If I didn't enjoy living near the
Atlantic Ocean, California probably would be my second choice.  We can do
with a bit less bragging, though.

Sumner Weisman
62 TR3B