Re: 30 gauge unuff?

To: Eric <lukehart@mis.net>
Subject: Re: 30 gauge unuff?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:32:12 -0500 ()
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Eric wrote:

> Hello list,
> I am repairing a couple of holes in my floors.  The holes are about 6 inches
> long and about 3 inches wide.  Someone at work gave me a roll of 30 gauge
> aluminum and said it would work for my needs.

Left over from a roofing job, perhaps? :-)

> When I asked him if it was
> strong enuff he said it would be very strong once it was pop riveted.  The
> metal seems a little flimsy to me.  Any thoughts on this topic.

I think your friend means well. I also think this sort of repair just
MIGHT keep your feet (or seat, or ???) from falling through -- for some
period of time. But I wouldn't think that such a repair would exactly
enhance the structural integrity of the floor and, therefore, the car as a
whole. That's something to think about especially in various worst-case
scenarios, such as an unplanned offroad excursion into a rocky field, or
an impromptu rendezvous with another moving vehicle or inanimate object.

I mean not to put down your friend, nor do I wish to be a prophet of doom.
But I really don't think that any but the tiniest pinhole in metal ought
to be patched with anything other than the proper gauge of metal -- and it
should be fastened properly (brazed, spot-welded, mig-welded, whatever).
Guess I've seen one too many crashes where an older, rusted car literally
shattered into pieces or broke in half (or worse) due to the rust.
Pop-riveted roof flashing ain't much better than nothing, IMHO.

--Andy