TR-3A - Coil high tension wire. What's happening?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3A - Coil high tension wire. What's happening?
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:03:25 -0800
     I unthinkingly pulled the high tension ignition wire out of the top of
the coil on my '60 TR-3A.  Then I unscrewed the plastic nut that surrounds
the wire. I big chunk of the threaded part was gone - perhaps a third of
its circumference, up to about half its length.  I expected to find the
broken piece sitting in the coil, but did not.  The plastic nut appears to
have been abraded away, but the threads in the coil seem ok.
     I theorize that the lead was not inserted far enough into the coil to
make good electrical contact and there was sparking going on there.  Anyone
encountered this problem before?
   In any case, this is a miserable design.  Anyone have a strategy for
preparing this connection properly?
   Thanks.
John Cowan

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan