Re: Why All the Rust??

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Why All the Rust??
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:18:58 +0000
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
"Robert M. Lang" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'll also point out a couple of relatively obvious issues - vis-a-vis rust.
> Especially as it pertains to TR6's. I have _several_ rusty examples.
>
> Anywhere that water can collect is susceptable to rust. Case in point - the
> lower front fender/rocker panel area.
>
> Two things work against you here. 1. the drain for the "air plenum" runs
> down a little tube and into the cavity formed by the outer fender... I've
> seen esveral cars rust out on the _top_ of the "outer sill" panel. 2. The
> inner body surfaces all seem to be left in primer from the factory.
>
> To solve problem 1, you can run a longer hose from the plenum... long
> enough to extend out the bottom of the rocker panel area. I've seen several
> references to this including Len Renkenburger.
>
> Problem 2 is not as easy to deal with. If you happen to be doing a frame up
> restoration, then suffice to say painting the inner surface with the body
> color will go a long way to solving future rust problems. Or, if you're not
> doing a frame up, then if you happen to need panel work, you could do one
> "corner" at a time - but eventually you'd need to do a total repaint.
>
> The other areas that tend to rust are: the rear fenders above and around
> the tail lights. This area is a b!^<# to deal with due to accessability,
> the front valence - I have no idea why, the rear valence - this is like the
> inner front fenders... lots of places for crud to congregate and last but
> not least - the FRAME. The frame has little baffles and nooks and crannies
> - lots of places for rust to form.
>
> Oh well. Food for thought.
>
> regards,
> rml
> TR6's

Robert
I solved problem (1) in the way that you  suggest, and I also coupled up a tube
from the under-bonnet drain on my TR4  because that is also a source of water
to rust the inner sill.   If you take a look at the picture on
http://members.tripod.com/~BrianJohnson_UK/tr4-h.jpg
or alternatively start at
http://members.tripod.com/~BrianJohnson_UK/page200.html
and look for  a water works or a sewage works picture you will see
what I did, though not in detail, to try and overcome the problem. I
undersealed
the sill as well after giving it lots of coats of primer and paint so that the
water and metal would not meet up even if there was a leak.  The joint is made
up of a household copper t-piece and some 15 mm copper pipe. The black pipe
comes from the plenumchamber and the transparent one is from the under bonnet
drain. I had to make the adapter for the under bonnet drain - it needs a small
lathe to do it.

Cheers

Brian Johnson

Internet     bjohnson@mmm.com (work) or
b.johnson@diamond.co.uk  (home)

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733  - CT27216-L  (now not L
but O )             ex USA
1954  TR2   4 6 BHX                 TS554-O   in lots of
pieces and locations    UK Car