Re: The various pre-war Dolomites

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: The various pre-war Dolomites
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:14:29 -0500 ()
Cc: walker05@camosun.bc.ca, triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
> Malcolm Walker wrote (and Damian Carvolth also wrote something similar):
>
> >The Dolomite was once referred to as "the best Alfa that Triumph ever
> >built".  It's a very pretty car....

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, R. John Lye noted:

> ...It was indeed Donald Healey who convinced Triumph to build it, and
> who was hit by a train during the Monte Carlo Rallye somewhere in
> Scandinavia; apparently, he was lucky to survive.

If you can, surf on over to Club Triumph's Web site (great site, BTW)
<http://club.triumph.org.uk/anniversary/anniv.htm> for a couple of
pictures of the straight-eight Dolomite.

Meanwhile, John also mentioned:

> [The] later Dolomite was a large-ish sedan, with a Chrysler
> inspired "waterfall" grill, which was quite dramatic for 1939...This
> was a production car, unlike Donald Healey's Alfa-inspired factory race
> cars, so there were quite a few more of the later cars.

A picture of a Dolomite of this variety can also be seen at the Club
Triumph site: <http://club.triumph.org.uk/anniversary/historic.htm> --
about half-way down the page.

FWIW, I believe the American car that inspired the Dolomite's grille was
the Terraplane (Hudson product), of which there might still be about as
many surviving as there are Triumph Dolomites. ;-)

There was a beautiful light grey Dolomite sedan that used to live in the
Midwest U.S. and appeared at a couple of VTR National meets in the
mid-1980s. I don't know the current whereabouts of the car, though.

--Andy