RE: Why all the rust?

Subject: RE: Why all the rust?
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:12:39 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
As a long time TR6 owner with a nice, original, low mileage car that has
never been north of the Red River since it was new (I live in Texas far from
the coast), one thing I've learned surprised me.  If you are not driving
your car very much, take the front carpets out while the car sits unused.
My 76 TR6 sits in a dry garage 99.9% of the time.  I only rarely take it out
for a spin due to a busy work/travel schedule (someday, life will slow down
and I'll have more time).  Yet, even without a drop of rain falling on it, I
discovered surface rust forming on the interior side of the floorpans when I
removed the carpet to do some underdash work.  As JD pointed out below and I
learned after this experience, its not pretty, but its best to let the bare
floor pans "breathe" while the car sits unused.  Since then, I've talked to
a couple of other people who do this for the same reason.  The carpet
actually acts like a wick that absorbs moisture from the air and then holds
it against the metal for long periods.