Color matching was Re: Need Touchup Valasquez Cream

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Color matching was Re: Need Touchup Valasquez Cream
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 08:17:59 PST
Glenn Merrell mentioned the process NAPA goes through to mix some paint
and yes we can mix practically any original paint made in the last 60
years BUT it will not always be an exact match.  Now if you're going to
paint the whole car and I mixed it right it'll look like it just rolled
out of Coventry, but if you're going to do a touch up mixing the correct
code generally will not match the rest of the car.  I guess it matters
how much you're going to touch up.  If it's just a rock nick you'll be
ok.  But if its a fender or something it'll be a glaring difference due
to the weathering of the rest of the paint.  Also many more modern cars,
especially metallics will have 3 or more variations on the same color
code, that's quite annoying.  My brother has a 96 champagne metallic
blazer and decided to go deer hunting with his grill.  We tried to mix
the paint 3 times and still never got it right due to the variations.
We ended up sending to a local body shop who did computer matching and
custom mixing.  Worked great.

Hmm I feel dirty telling people not to go to a NAPA store, ignore all
the above :)

Ryan Smith
72 Emerald Green Spitfire
4th Generation NAPA store owner