Re: TR6 Studs

To: esp@hypermax.net.au
Subject: Re: TR6 Studs
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 09:09:13 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

You asked about TR6 replacement studs for racing.

I have used Moroso brand part number 46180 and Mr. Gasket brand part number
4311 on my TR6. Both studs are 1/2-20 and the Moroso's are 3 inch in length
and the Mr. Gaskets are 2-7/8 long.

Frankly, the Moroso studs look to be better quality - they have a
non-threaded portion at the end of the stud to help align the threads, but
both would work out okay for you.

The drawback to either stud is that you _should_ ream the holes in the hubs
out todo the job. The Moroso studs use a .615 reamer - I had to buy one for
the job, as it's an odd size. The Mr. Gasket studs had a slightly smaller
knurl, and did not have to be reamed as much.

You didn't mention what wheel style you are using, but it's worth
mentioning that some wheels have a very thick center section. If you have
wheels that are "thin-ish", you could run a pretty big spacer with these
studs. However, the Revolutions that I'm putting on one of my cars are
pretty thick and therefor I can only run a max. of 1 inch of spacer. I
probably won't run that big of a spacer, but I could if I have to (to get
my track out to the class spec. of 60 inch track.) Note: this will not be
"streetable".

C ya.
rml
TR6's

Oh, and you _must_ use a hydraulic press to get the studs to seat.