Re: Fastener Threads

To: MPRICE@KeystoneSystems.com
Subject: Re: Fastener Threads
From: Aaron Johnson <sugar@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:02:41 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I wouldn't imagine that you have any british fine thread on your car.
Almost everything, sans some brake hardware, i sprobably unified national
thread size, either coarse (unlikely in a triumph), fine (most common) or
extra fine ( found in a couple of places).  These are the UNC, UNF, and
UNEF suffixes.  Look in the phone book under fasteners, there are probably
three or four stores that are fastener stores that will have almost
anything you need.  Some of the things that are used on the cars are a
little odd, like studs with fine thread on both ends, because most
engineering standards are to use coarse thread into a casting.  The easy
way to tell if something is Bristish Standard Whitworth (BSW) or British
Standard Fine (BSF) is if there is a prominent radius on the thread.
UN-series threads lack this radius.

hope this helps

aaron