re: re hp test

To: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>, triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: re: re hp test
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 98 10:31:05 -0700
 That event "out west" is the Silver State Classic. It is held in Nevada.
The Organizers, with the help of the Nevada State Patrol, close down a 90
(or there abouts) section of highway. They have different speed classes
that you can be ranked in. Under 80, 90, 100, 110,120, 130, 140, 150 and
unlimited (over 150). Numbers are for M.P.H. . These are not top speeds.
These speed classes are for your average speed over the 90 some mile
course. This course does have quite a range of curves as well as some long
straights. Some straights are supposed to be long enough that you should be
able to reach your vehicles top speed.They are also supposed to have
stations set up along the course to record your speed (via laser or radar)
in different sections. So an accurate idea of your top speed may be
assessed without having to rely on your Speedometer (as long as your
Odometer and stop watch are accurate). Most of the Articles that I have
read on this event spend their time on the "Unlimited Class " cars. The
Diablos, F-40's , McLarens and such. But you also get to find out about
some other interesting cars. Such as a 200+ M.P.H. 1969 Camaro. It was
clocked at 219 M.P.H. with a Nevada State Troopers Radar Gun. He was even
awarded a speeding citation (which he did not have to pay) in jest. Imagine
the Horsepower required to move a car that non-aerodynamic of a vehicle to
those speeds.  Wow!

 I have not read about any LBC's partaking of this event though. The tech
sessions the cars must pass in order to qualify are pretty extensive. So
your LBC would have to be very well prepared in order to complete 90 miles,
of very hard driving. Of course many cars enter the competition. Only a few
actually complete the course in their required time.

 Apologies for taking so long to get to the LBC content.

Shawn Loseke
1972 TR6
Original Text