Searchable Archive Issue?

Subject: Searchable Archive Issue?
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@iwaynet.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 04:48:30 -0500
Anyone care to explain the extreme concern about the searchable archive
that just appeared?
Is the issue:
a.)Use of propriatary data which belongs to the list owner once we
contribute it. ie. marketable $$$ information.
b) Protecting us against others extracting the email address for spam
purposes.
c) Ruffled Pride ....It wasn't invented here.
d) other

This is not intended to be an inflamatory comment.  A rational
explaination is desired.  The idea of searchable content seems
appropriate, useful and an improvement to me.  If spam is the
impediment, how could a searchable database be created to provide some
protection against the problem.  Digging through large files manually is
a dying art,  given the direction technology continues to take.

My opinion is that the attempt to establish searchable content addressed
a problem and added capability that further increased the value of this
forum. I would hate to see it buried out of fear for another problem,
specially by a group of problem solvers.