Re: TR6 sway bar

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 sway bar
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:07:37 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Brad Kahler wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I have the opportunity to pick up a TR6 sway bar assembly.  Will the TR6
> sway bar fit a TR4 front end?  The TR4 has the real early type suspension
> components as used on the TR3.  Even if it does fit is it worth putting on
> the car.  Will it improve the handling enough to make it worth while?
>
> TIA
>
> Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
> My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)
>
> 1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
> 1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
> 1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108

Brad

It is definitely worth it -  less understeer and the car is flatter around
bends.   I fitted one from Moss (UK) - I don't think it was like the TR6 one
though, I had to drill the bumper bar mounts in order to fit it.  You have to
have the later bumper mounts though - if you don't then you have to make up
some brackets.

A question for all TR4 owners though - what colour did you paint your roll bar
(sorry sway bar) ?
I noticed quite a few in the UK were red, so I painted mine that  colour too,
- I think it may be just a TR4 owners' fad .   It does make people come up and
ask why though !

Also for TR4 owners - my fan belt fitted without loosening the engine mounts -
it took a small amount of pulling to do this and I think that I took the
weight of the engine on a jack, but it only took a few minutes to do it.

Cheers
Brian Johnson

Internet     bjohnson@mmm.com (work) or b.johnson@diamond.co.uk  (home)

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733  - CT27216-L  (now not L but O ) ex USA
1954  TR2   46 BHX               TS554-O   in lots of pieces         UK Car