Tension bar in TR-6 doors/ rattles

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tension bar in TR-6 doors/ rattles
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 98 12:18:03
Ross J Fox asked:

> My second question has to do with the door window track tie-rod.  In my
> car it fits very loosely about the window tracks in both doors and appears
> to serve no pupose, or at least not function properly.  I'm apt to remove
> it to stop the rattle.  What is it's function and proper fit?  Any harm in
> simply disgarding it?
>
> Ross
> '75 TR6

In my TR-4A doors, there is a longitudinal tension member connected between the
two
window tracks (at the bottom).  It is loose when the window is raised.  This
tie supports a
a window stop that serves to stop the window at the proper lowered position.
When
the window reaches this position, it presses down on the middle of the tie rod,
applying tension to the two window tracks at the bottom, and (I assume)
preventing the
window from getting out of window tracks.  So, that member serves a purpose,
and should not be discarded.  I don't know if mine rattles (haven't driven the
car
yet), but I think the more likely source of rattles is the glass against the
tracks,
if the "fuzzystuffinthetracks" is worn out.  I just replaced these (replaced
only
the channels, prelined with fuzzystuff, which was much cheaper than new guide
assemblies,
but _MUCH_ more involved (welding required to replace pop rivets which I could
not
duplicate).

Verify that the tie-rod/window stop system is working properly--some adjustment
is
possible.  If you have a rattle when the window is up (or not fully down) it may
be this piece rattling, and could be stopped by appropriate cushioning, etc.  If
you have a rattle when the glass is down, and if the tie-rod/stop system is
working properly, then the window is probably rattling in the tracks (or any
of the other many pieces of hardware in the door may be loose and rattling.

Good luck,
Ray

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.
Texas Transportation Institute