Re: The Roadster Factory

To: "Colhard, Chuck" <ColhardC@cadmus.com>
Subject: Re: The Roadster Factory
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 22:38:34 -0500
Cc: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
"Colhard, Chuck" wrote:

> Patrick:
>
> Noticed you had a 70 Spit. I just acquired "Nigel" a 71 Spit.
> Couple of questions that maybe you could help me with:
>
> Do you know what is proper badging for the hood of this model
> ("Nigel" currently has none).?
>
> Car is excellent mechanically - prior owner painted it himself and it's not
> great (red). Car was originally code 32 Signal Red. Is there a way I can see
> a good color sample of "Signal Red" before I decide color for repaint? In my
> mind, car would look great with a red like a mid-70's Corvette red.
>
> Body is good (no rust). Has a couple of dings, biggest thing is doors are
> tough to close tight - may need work on the hinges. Can any decent
> body/paint shop handle this, or should I go to someone with "Spit"
> experience? . . .not trying to create a show car, just would like to look
> sharp.
>
> Chuck "Snoopster" Colhard
> 71 Spit  FK10589L
> Atlanta, GA (USA)
>
> Any help would be appreciated-  thanks!

Chuck,
Here is what I know about the badging for the 70 Spitfire MkIII.  1970 was the
year that the MkIII went from the individual lettered TRIUMPH on the front of
the bonnet to the single plaque.  (The vehicle I have I really don't have yet. I
am to pick it up from Ted Schumacher tomorrow.)  The 70 spit MkIII has two
different plaques, the earlier one was a single rectangular badge and the later
one was a rectangular badge over a bulls eye (RAF logo).  The RAF logo badge is
difficult to come by  from what I understand.  My car has the single rectangular
plaque.  You can see it in my web site at
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/7864/Triumph/index.htm

With respect to your other questions.  The door concerns that you have may be
caused by the last paint job (paint in the hinges) the door needs to be
realigned. Any body shop can give you a free estimate to fix this problem.  I,
however, would try it myself (check out the web site and find out why).

--
Patrick Barber
74 Spitfire 1500 (Organ donor)