Re: Directional signals

To: gprtech@frontiernet.net
Subject: Re: Directional signals
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 17:56:35 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 12/3/98 6:54:37 AM EST, gprtech@frontiernet.net writes:

<< There's no "watch repair" in the control head, believe me. It's kind of
 an odd setup, but not small or hard to work with. I've repaired several
 that I had here before sending them to people who needed them.

 If you pull the stator tube, you are then going to need to thread the
 ends of the wires back through the steering column, which will be more
 difficult than just pulling them back in a couple of feet.

 By the way, I've remove the control head and wires and reinstalled it,
 removed the stator tube and reinstalled it, and just pulled the control
 head out a bit while leaving the wires in place and repaired it.

 In order of difficulty:                Removing the stator tube and replacing
it
                                Removing control head and wires and replacing
it
                                Pulling control head out some and working on it

 You can also pul the control head out a bit and disconnect the wires
 from it, so that you can work on it somewhere else. I haven't done that.

I guess I need to explain my answer to the original question. It has been my
experience that the wires do not always pull out of the stator tube with great
ease. I have seen wires pulled out the back out the c-head and effectively
ruining it. Also I recall back to a time before these were available new and
good used ones were hard to find, and getting harder. That and the fact I do
most of my work solo is what prompted me to say to pull the stator tube, as it
is much easier to get the c-head off with the stator tube assembly out of the
car IMHO.
Having said that it is true that pulling the c-head out a foot or so from the
steering wheel, disconnecting the base plate thingamawhozit, and disconnecting
the wires would probably be an easier route.
Funny but I never thought that replacing the stator tube/control head into the
steering column as being particularly difficult. If you want difficult try
threading the wire harness thru the stator tube!

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4