tonneau snaps and SU carbs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tonneau snaps and SU carbs
From: "George R. Parker" <gpark@crosslink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:54:43 -0500
Hi List,

I've seen the post about the "lift-the-dot" fasteners on tonneau covers.  I
have a '78 Spit and bought the tonneau after the car (I think from TRF).
My dash has 4 "posts" and the cover has the corresponding open rings (what
the original poster referred to as "grommets"???).  This works fine for 90%
of my use, but in the fall and spring, I'd like to drive with the tonneau
on.  However, over 50mph or so, the wind buffets the cover enough that the
*leading* edge lifts off of the posts.  I've often thought of changing it
to the "lift-the-dot" type fastener, but don't know how difficult it would
be to change the tonneau itself (changing the posts on the dash would
probably not be that big a deal).  I've also thought of trying some clip on
the posts to hold the tonneau in place.  Any thoughts as to what might
work?  I'm thinking just a tiny binder clip to hold it on while I drive.

On another note - My SUs are still leaking fuel.  This time through the
vent pipe.  Is it possible that the fuel pump is "overpowering" the float,
essentially "sinking" it, thus allowing the fuel to flow?  The SUs (HS-4s)
have Grose-Jets installed.  Last night I applied sealer to the gaskets and
threads of the Grose-Jets.  What do I do if the pump (replacement
mechanical) is, in fact, pumping at too high of a pressure??  Are there
aftermarket electric pumps that shut off when a certain amount of
backpressure is sensed?  I know the old SU pump on my Dad's XK-120 works
that way, but all of the electric pumps I've seen are continuous running,
thus requiring a fuel return of some sort (a provision *not* on my SUs).
I'm starting to regret ever getting rid of that Weber...

Thanks for any insight you may provide,

George P.

George R. Parker          |  THINK -
AHNTECH, Inc.             |  It's good practice for when
(540)663-5936             |  the computer goes down.