Re: Brake Help

To: mdfatsi@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake Help
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:16:19 -0500
Hi,
      You (mdfatsi) wrote:

>Today, as I was inspecting my rear brakes I discovered that the drivers
>side rear brakepad and everything else inside the drum was completely
>covered in - what looks like- Grease. Where did it come from? Could it
>be gear oil from the dif.?   What is it?

Yup, its a mix of grease from the axle bearings and oil from the diff;
your axle seals are leaking.  You didn't say what kind of car this is,
but I'm presuming its a solid axle TR-2/3/4/4A.  There are two seals
on the axle.  The inner seal is pretty easy to get to, but you need
to remove the axle from the car to get to it.  The outer seal is a
bit tougher to replace - the hub needs to come off the axle to replace
it and if this hasn't been done in a while the bhub is tough to get
off.  Don't, under any circumstances, use a gear puller to try and remove
the hub - you'll bend the hub.  You need either the proper hub remover
or a very large hydraulic press and good support for the hub to prevent
damage to the hub when removing it.  If you'd like more specific details,
let me know.

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu