Re: TR4: Oil pressure feed pipe & tatooed stud

To: wdaehler@execpc.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4: Oil pressure feed pipe & tatooed stud
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 14:16:15 EST
In a message dated 98-11-25 23:07:09 EST, wdaehler@execpc.com writes:

> I can't believe this is the right stud.  It looks like a normal 5/16 th
>  stud with fine thread on one end and course on the other.  I threaded it
>  into the block.  How is the pressure of engine oil supposed to slip out
>  to the ring on the oil feed hose?  Osmosis?  Telepathy?  This stud is
>  way too short anyway.  By the time all the hardware is assembled, there
>  is nothing left for the acorn to grab onto.
>
>  The Moss TR4 catalog is no help.  Every piece of hardware is listed and
>  available, except this stud.  Balloon #39 is missing.  That the part I
>  need.  Missing for a good reason I bet.
>
>  The stud I would expect to see would be a specialized one.  Machined in
>  some way.  Like hollowed out, or slotted, drilled, turned or milled.
>  Or in some way tatooed.
>
>  Can anyone help?

According to the Haynes manual:
"... 2. Fit a new filter head gasket having first inserted the four retaining
bolts.  Note that they are of different lengths, the longer one being fitted
to the top right and bottom right hand sides (photo).

3. The bolt on the bottom left is hollow and also secures the oil pressure
gauge pressure pipe union.  Assemble the union to the  bolt with fiber washers
on either side of the union and fit to the filter head.

4. With the four bolts with spring washers in position tighten the bolts in a
diagonal manner.

5. On some engines a special stud was fitted instead of the bolt, in which
case the pressure pipe was connected to the filter head instead."  [The only
picture shows the four bolt configuration.]

I just checked my TR4 CT 33118L.  It appears to have a bolt fitted.  My car is
rather late in the run and my workshop manual (which shows a stud) is an early
edition.  Maybe Triumph changed from the stud to a hollow bolt.   A drawing in
the factory workshop manual shows a stud, 2 fiber washers and a cap nut.  It
also shows that the oil pressure line has a circular end (the "union"
mentioned above) which fits over the stud.  So you have the filter mounting
with the stud protruding, - a washer is fitted over the stud, then the end of
the oil pressure line, then another washer, then the cap nut.  No explanation
is given about the stud.  But you are right - if the factory workshop is
correct then the stud would have to let the oil pressure out to the union (and
maybe be sealed by the washers) for the pressure to go to the pipe through the
union.  OTOH - Haynes says ("5" above) that the pipe should be fitted to the
filter head if the stud is there.  Haynes could means that the washers will
seal oil from leaking and still let the pressure into the union.  So it says
fit it to the filter head because that's where the stud is.

HANG ON -- The factory parts catalogue diagram of the oil filter arrangement
shows three bolts (same as Moss and VB catalogues)   BUT on another engine
page (with the same diagram as the Moss catalogue - that's where Moss got
their "external engine" diagram) it does list the stud (which you refered to
as #39 in Moss and which is unmarked there) as "oil filter (pressure
attachment) #112170.  This is probably the "special stud" which Haynes
mentions.  Since you apparently have the "special stud"  why not call TRF with
the part number above (112170), see if they have it and if it is like yours.
If you buy it get all the other parts mentioned above i.e. the washers (114033
&114034) and the cap nut(DN3408).  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Any more questions, I'll try my best to help further.  Cheers.

Art Kelly