Re: Boy Racer Subject #45: Ram Pipes?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Boy Racer Subject #45: Ram Pipes?
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:14:37 GMT
On 25 Nov 1998, Mike Thompson wrote:

> 2. how they work - They make a smooth transition between the air and carb.

Ooops, I think we need to supplement that: The thing with proper ram pipes
is that they, in a somewhat analogous manner to a flute or trumpet,
should be tuned to the frequency of the air pulsating through them. To work
at their best, they need:

      - One distinct pipe for each cylinder, right down to the intake
        valve. You can some effect with manifolds, but not very much.

      - A tube that is as "clean" as possible. Injection is much better
        than carbs, whose venturis disturb the flow. A sliding throttle is
        better then butterflies.

      - To be matched to the RPM range of interest. They really only work
        over a narrow RPM band.

The only Triumph that has ram pipes is the 2.5 PI. They are not ideal,
though, because they contain a butterfly each (instead of having a common
butterfly before the plenum chamber, as is common nowadays), but mostly
because they far too short for a long stroke engine like the 2.5 that
gets the shivers at anything above 6000.

(The next time you see a 50s gull-wing SL, take a look under the bonnet.
Those ram-pipes would probably be much more appropriate for the 2.5)

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92027705 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway