RE: Mfg. Date~Year Correlation (fwd)

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Mfg. Date~Year Correlation (fwd)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:52:14 -0500 ()
On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 jaltman@altlaw.com wrote:

> I can't speak to the date used to change model years, but I recall a recent
> discussion here where in the 50's and early 60's model year was assigned by
> when the car was sold or first titled.  The advent of pollution control
> required certain equipment based on date of manufacture and this is when the
> assignment of model year was based on that date rather than the date of
> sale. I think that was 67 or 68.  My 69 comm plate certifies compliance as
> of 1/1/69.

I think we're both right here. You're right about the older cars and date
of first registration ultimately determining the "year" of the car in the
U.S. and perhaps elsewhere. But I interpreted the original question to be
answered as I answered it: how the manufacturer viewed "model years" of
the cars. Where the "retitling" came in was for a car that was built in,
say, late spring or summer of 1963, and might not even have been
shipped to the U.S. for a month or three. By the time it worked its way
through POE, the distributor and finally the dealer's lot, it might have
been December or later, so the car was titled as a 1964. (Heck, no dealer
wanted to be selling last year's model, right?) I think this is exactly
what happened with my dad's "1964" Herald 1200 bought new in January 1964.
I don't yet have a BMIHT certificate, but all indications are that the car
was built in mid-1963.

--Andy