Re: Transmission oil

To: mhooper@pixelsystems.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, gbuck@pinnaclegrp.com
Subject: Re: Transmission oil
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:40:38 EST
In a message dated 98-11-19 17:38:15 EST, mhooper@pixelsystems.com writes:

> This seems to be a recurring thread. I installed an o/d transmission in my
>  '72 TR6 and was told to change to 20W50 racing oil. This was by the local
>  LBC guru Chris Hollum who has been selling parts forever for these cars. He
>  showed me a FAX from Laycock in which they specifically stated that 80 or
90
>  weight oil would cause the triumphs transmission to wear rapidly as the
>  synchromesh wuld be constantly turning and engaged.

    <<Snip >>

Here is a Service Bulletin from the '50s on this subject.  Don't know for sure
if it still applied in the '70's but I think it probably did.

(quote)

SPORTS/6/E: [VANGUARD/4/E] LUBRICANTS APPROVED FOR LAYCOCK DE
NORMANVILLE OVERDRIVE, OCTOBER 1954.

      This Information Sheet should be cross referenced under SPORTS/6/E.

                          It has been our practice to permit the use of Hypoid
Oils in our gearboxes as an alternative to a normal Mineral Oil for hot
operating conditions.

                          An instance of overdrive failure, when employing
hypoid oil, has been brought to our notice and the overdrive manufacturers
have stated that this type of oil is not suitable for use with these units.

                           The "Recommended Lubricants - Overseas" chart in
our Instruction Books and Service Manual gives the alternative of either
Hypoid or normal Mineral oils for gearboxes operating in the "over 10degrees
Fahrenheit" and "over 70degrees Fahrenheit" ranges.  This recommendation is
not applicable where overdrive units are fitted and your garage personnel, and
customers, where necessary, should be advised of the fact.

NOTE:

                       These instructions are for information only and do not
constitute an
                       authority to carry out modifications at the expense of
The Standard
                       Motor Company Limit
(unquote)

Cheers.  Art Kelly