Re: TR6 clutch release shaft bushing removal

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: Re: TR6 clutch release shaft bushing removal
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:55:19 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< > The question here is:  How do you remove WHAT'S LEFT of the
 > old release shaft bushings from the bellhousing?

 Pete, I can't now recall for sure how I got mine out although mine were all
 there. I think I just used the shaft to drive them out. But then I had to
 cut my shaft anyway to free the for as my pin was toast. The bushings are
 not hard to remove as I recall. >>

Hi,

I sorted through my deep sockets and ended up using one of my spark plug
sockets and a hammer.  The socket OD was just slightly smaller than the ID of
the cross shaft hole, and I whacked them right out.  My old shop teacher would
have a fit!!!  I agree with Peter, use two new bushings on each side, and some
high temp moly lube...sparingly.

When I went to remove the taper pin, it snapped.  When I inspected it later, I
noticed that there had been a fracture in it prior to my wrenching on it.  I
had to drill out the rest of the taper pin to get the assembly apart.  I then
realized how important it was to forget the taper pin and modify it with the
5/16" bolt.

Scott Helms