TR4a restoration questions - NEW

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4a restoration questions - NEW
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:32:04 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Listers,

Dave in Winterpeg here.

Last night we had our sports car club (racing) banquet.  The upshot of my
sentiment toward the direction of the club and the direction of my finances
and/or time is that it is time to "not" race for a while.

that said, and following the recent threads on which cars to buy/restore,
etc., I have semi seriously made my mind up that THIS is the winter to get
cracking on said TR4a 5CTC 53???, an early 65 with IRS that I have owned
since 1984.

It currently has many, um, interesting modifications, not the least of which
is a TR250 frame I swapped in when the Swiss cheese turned to fondue on the
proper one.  Once upon a time it took a hard hit to the left rear fender
area towit there are ripples in the rear floor below the gas tank and
creases in the trunk floor.  I have only one floorboard issue (read
replacement) to do and sills, otherwise the car is good and straight.

My questions to the purists and the pragmatists:

1.  given that the car will likely never be sold,  how much should I care of
others' opinions on other than visible items?

2.  Did the cars come with undercoating and if so, how thick?  Said creases
hide very well under the former coating - my life will be much easier if you
say there should be undercoat!

3.  Does anybody in concours ever look closely enough at the spare tire well
to tell if the dents have been hammered out or bondoed over?  (same issue as
undercoat, only from the inside)

4.  Considering the car will get (pick one, as yet undecided):  a TR6 mule
motor for now and then: 2" SU's, 45 DCOE's or the Jusdon supercharger on the
4 banger,  does any of the above matter?

5.  Would anybody have information on a TR4B, aka test bed for the TR250?

Right now I am most interested in getting  ONE of my cars back together for
next season's fun.  The GT6 needs a complete strip and respray after the
racing accident "and is less valuable and I'm getting tired of restoring it
(again)".  The TR4a needs, well, everything.  Both need gearbox work.  Both
need motor work.  Both chassis are fresh (the TR250 chassis only got about
3000 miles on Nylon bushings before  I bought the TR6).  I am not
experienced at bodywork but am fairly good at drywall and a terror with a
spraycan!

For those of you who know me, you realize by now I am reaching out for
support in the TR4 direction.  But,  I also don't want to be tarred as a DCO
at a car show (No trailer need apply to me).

There.  I've said it.  Any personal replies?  Any parts?  The car will be
Spa white w/ red int, white piping, red carpet as original.

Dave T
Confused in Winterpeg