RE: Judging "New" Triumphs, was Trailer Queens

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Judging "New" Triumphs, was Trailer Queens
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:43:31 -0600
Bob Danielson wrote:
>>My TR6
has a lot of "enhancements" that would/should keep it from being considered
original: Koni & Spax shocks, mohair top, burlwood dash, Grant steering
wheel, Hayden Aux Fan, K&N air filters, spin on oil filter, Bridgestone
tires, AM/FM cassette stereo.. etc. <<

I the current rules would limit you to "modified" in concourse (judged) shows.
In the stock classes those accessories/modifications would result in
significant point penalties.  As I recall, in the participant's choice show,
modified cars were not singled out, cars were simply broken up into groups by
models and significant changes (i.e. early and late TR-6).

Personally, I don't think it matters whether the show is single or multi
marque.  I vote for the car I like.  Modifications in good taste, and done to
high standard can make the car more appealing.  I am partial to performance
modifications, curb feelers and duct tape are right out!!!  I actually tend to
not vote for the trailer queens, because that isn't what appeals to me.  I also
tend to respect a car that was owner restored/maintained/modified than one that
was done 100% by a shop.

At great risk of major flames now:
I have actually NOT voted for the best looking TR-6 at a show because when I
talked to the owner, he knew nothing about it.  He had simply written big
checks at the engine, body, and interior shops.  He drove the car rarely, and
had NEVER even put the top down (might get wrinkled you know).  This guy should
have bought a Honda.  BTW, he was not a VTR member, I like to think that means
something.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra Mystic #1345 (mostly stock) [owner maintained except for
warranty work]
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (highly modified) [owner
restored/modified/maintained/repaired]
'59 Triumph 10 Sedan (in boxes) [slightly closer to completion than when I
bought it]