Re: TR4 oil pressure

To: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: TR4 oil pressure
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 11:52:15 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, "'ArthurK101@aol.com'" <ArthurK101@aol.com>, bzw8@cdc.gov
In regards to the relief valve...

After 12,000 miles on my rebuilt motor (TR 4A)... and just as I was preparing to
go to Triumphest... I decided that watching my oil pressure crest 100 when
cold... all this time...had not been a good thing.  I decided to monkey with the
relief valve... I loosened it a little bit...  now it doesn't go over 70, even
when cold... it has not affected the oil pressure in any other way.... it simply
won't let it go over 70.

subsequently... I have noticed that there is less oil leaking from various
places on my car... (of course, it never leaks from the valve cover gasket! : )

It's a relief valve... limiting how high the pressure can go...   I've read
enough on the subject to come to the conclusion that I did the right thing by
making the adjustment.... I should have done it long ago.
I'd certainly welcome comments.

Interesting information on the relief spring loosing it's temper...  Perhaps
replacing the 30 year springs wouldn't be a bad idea.

--Justin