Re: TR Register groups outside UK; unleaded fuel

To: bjohnson@mmm.com
Subject: Re: TR Register groups outside UK; unleaded fuel
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 12:14:25 -0500 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 bjohnson@mmm.com wrote:

> Now there's a question - is anyone outside the UK in the TR Register ?    I
> think that there are 'groups' in most countries.

There are a number of members in the USA, and several Chapters of VTR and
Centers of TRA are affiliated with the TR Register.

> [TR Action magazine ]..some good articles in there too.

Agreed; it's excellent!

> We have a lot of correspondence  in the magazine about unleaded fuel  and
> what we can do about it at present (the UK goes unleaded on Jan 1st 2000 I
> think)     -     Does anyone in the USA  have any good advice about this?

Amongst some of the most knowledgeable Triumph folk I can think of are
Neil Revington and John Kipping. Both have pretty much said: "Run the car
on unleaded. If problems develop, then 'convert' the engine as needed."
This goes along with most other information (which is to say information
NOT written from the viewpoint of someone trying to sell some additive)
I've read over the years..

About as "pessimistic" information I've read is to the effect that most
older engines will have had enough lead to continue to protect for some
time to come. Note also that most cars sold in America -- Triumphs
included -- from the early 1970s on were designed to run on low-lead or
even no-lead fuel and will do so very nicely.

--Andy