Half a Herald!

To: Triumph List <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Half a Herald!
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 20:26:14 -0800
Hi All,
    I'm still officialy "off-list" following my recent wedding (which
incidentally, though a small affair, was very succesful, and was
attended by 3 Triumphs and a Bond, plus several other Triumph owners
sans Triumphs!) and the ensuing household chaos from integrating two
houses into one! Nevertheless, I am keeping track of happenings on the
list via the digest.
    Last week, after returning from honeymoon, we took a day out to
visit the Museum of British Road Transport in Coventry, the home of
Triumph. We had a pre arranged appointment to photograph in detail the
Herald they have on display, which is a VERY early Coupe, which was cut
in half as a motor show display in 1959.
    The museum staff were remarkably helpful, and once we had found the
Coupe (the museum is currently being re-organised - we found the Coupe
in a lift!), we were left to our own devices and allowed total access to
the car. As the photography enthusiast, Karen took 75 exposures of all
details of the car, while I examined eveything, and measured and
sketched details applicable to my rebuild of Y128.
    This vehicle is a remarkble timewarp piece! The Commission plate
reads Y8 XU, (the Y8 denotes the 8th Coupe, the X indicates prototype
status, can anyone explain the significance of the U?), the Body Number
reads Y9. The doors are entirely hand made, as are the bootlid and front
valance. The doors do not have the curved peaked corners at the front
which are normally associated with early Heralds - this is a feature
common to Y128. The bootlid, which is again common to Y128, has the
recessed portion made from a flat section of steel spot-welded into a
lip in the recess.
    Some parts of the coupe were in fact "modernised" during the Coupes
carrer as a motor show exhibit, for example, the engine bay has a side
valance fitted on the side which retains its bodywork, and the front
suspension fitted is the latter type with cross bracing on the bottom
wishbones.
    To round off an excellent day, we also received some interesting
information regarding one of the other Triumph Herald prototypes. Two of
the Museum Staff were ex-Standard Triumph employees, who spoke of the
existance of the Four-door Herald into the 1970s! Though it has been
reported by some that this was shipped to India together with the
production details for this model, it seems the prototype remained in
the UK. This coincides with some information I received some time back
(and treated with scepticism) regarding this cars continued existance in
the Bristol area of the UK. So maybe it is still out there?
    Back on the list soon,
        Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by: