Re: TR3A Funny Noise on Startup

To: chammock@iquest.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Funny Noise on Startup
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 21:40:28 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< What the heck is this?  On cold startup I hear a non-rhythmic, not RPM
related clop clop noise from down low on the engine.  I thought it was water
cavitating in the jackets? but water level is full.  Not a bearing clatter I
have heard before, as it does not change with RPM.  Thought about the timing
chain trensionner being off, but this is not a light noise I would expectf
from the tensioner.  Once engine is warming up = a minute or so, no more
noise, nor is there such noise on warm start up. I sure hope this is nothing
serious, but need wisdom of the list to confirm -

 Thanks for any thoughts you ahve. PS the car runs great - no problems with
performance or reliability. >>

Starter hanging up maybe?
Something in the cooling system sounds likely.
Exhaust manifolds/pipes sometimes creak and groan with rapid temp changes -
though it doesn't seem likely you'd hear this over the engine.
Maybe the wrench you couldn't find after last engine rebuild? ;-)

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4