Re: TR-2,3,4A - Retard timimg for use with 92 octane gas?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: TR-2,3,4A - Retard timimg for use with 92 octane gas?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:12:17 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Tomislav Marincic <TomAndKate@compuserve.com>, Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Trevor Boicey wrote:

> > Does low octane fuel
> > really boost performance in *any* situation?
>
>   About the only thing you are ever likely to actually
> notice is that car MIGHT start a bit easier since theoretically
> the fuel/air wants to be ignited a little more
> than high octane gas.

A little off topic here, but my Killer Chevette would only run on cheap
(87 octane) gas.  If i put midgrade it would be OK (accelerated a bit
better) but with supreme (93 octane?) it would splutter and cough and
stall at stop lights.

I think it had 7:1 compression.  Maybe lower, maybe higher, depending on
the amount of engine deposits and general wear.

The thing still runs but I don't drive it any more.  I start it up
periodically just to hear it whirr.  (or maybe that's just the alternator
giving up the ghost)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm