Re: TR3 Side Curtains

To: Brad.Kahler@141.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Side Curtains
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:42:49 -0500
Hi Brad,
      You wrote:

>The set that came with the most recent car has frames that are made out of
>aluminum.  Has the slide type windows and uses the earlier style of
>mounting with the thumb screw on the side.  Also this set of side curtains
>has an aluminum sheet metal lower portion that would normally have had
>the zippered opening to open the door from the inside.  I'm assuming that
>someone added this at a later date.  Was this second set producted by
>triumph or is it some kind of after market model?

Aha, you've found a set of the infamous Moss Motors "fit just like the
original parts" set of side curtains.  Years ago, the side curtains on
my TR-3 were getting pretty tatty, and Moss advertised these curtains
(as did J.C. Whitney as I recall); the photo looked good (from a
distance) and the price was right for my extremely limited budget
so I decided to buy a set.  Big mistake, in fact, this was one of the
incidents that drove me to become a big supporter of TRF in their
early days but that's another rant, I guess.

I think I've still got that set up in the attic somewhere...

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu
homepage:  http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm