Re: Solid axle TRs - Rear wheel bearing replacement

To: jfcowan@earthlink.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Solid axle TRs - Rear wheel bearing replacement
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:26:25 -0400
John Cowan asks:

>Has anyone on the list successfully inspected, repacked and/or replaced
>the rear wheel bearings on solid axle Triumphs?

Yeah, we were doing axle seals regularly on Chip Bond's TR-4 race car
two years ago (sometimes between the morning and afternoon sessions).

>All my manuals seem to put
>this task beyond the capabilities of the home mechanic.

Its tough, but not impossible (the outer seal is the hard one to get to).

>Either special tools (Churchill M86 or S132.2)

The hub puller is necessary to get the outer seal and bearing out of
the hub.  You can't easily separate the hub from the axle otherwise
without risking damage to the hub.

>are required or it is necessary to remove the brake drums and the axle
>shafts.

To get to the inner seal, you have to remove the brake drum, and remove
the brake backing plate (six bolts), then withdraw the axle and hub
assembly from the axle housing.  You can replace the inner seal and
inspect and/or add grease to the bearing.  To properly repack the bearing,
though, the hub has to come off the axle.

cheers,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu