Re: Stag overdrive selection

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stag overdrive selection
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 09:34:05 GMT
On 26 Sep 1998, Mike Stevenson wrote:

> I have little doubt that the switch was by-passed because it is
> defective and to change
> it means dropping the gearbox.

Yes, quite probable, I'd say.

> In the interest of safety I have re-wired to the defective switch which
> means that
> currently I have no overdrive, rather that than expensive repair bills.

If you like electrical tinkering more than dropping of gearboxes, you
could always wire up a normally closed relay connected to the reverse
lamp circuit, so that overdrive is disabled whenever reverse gear is
engaged.

This is a hack, though, because it still allows OD operation on 1st gear,
where the torque on the outgoing axle really is too high for the OD, in
addition to the RPM being to low for proper hydraulic pressure.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway