Re: TR6 Suspension

To: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Suspension
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:32:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Scott,

I'm in the middle of this project on my TR4 (a bit more radical than
your plans) and while there are differences in our cars, there are a lot
of similarities too.

I have had Konis for years and they are excellent, you don't need to
pull the springs to adjust, just loosen the nuts at the top and turn the
shaft. This will allow you to tune them easily once on the car. For $60,
if you don't want them, I do!

Incidently, if your Konis are used and need refurbishing, I found GM
orange engine paint is exactly the same color as Koni orange.

The lever shocks are fine, I've heard from many people that you can use
40 or 50 weight motor oil to stiffen them up. You can also change the
valves. For example, I'm using a set originally spec'ed for MGB front
shocks on the rear of my car. I am currently using standard shock oil.

I strongly encourage replacing all rubber bushings with polyurethane. It
tightens up the suspension and holds up a lot longer. I even have
urethane throughout the front end on my Ford Aerostar "Triumph Support
Vehicle" (TSV).

When it comes to springs, I'm trying out competition springs all the way
around, but this is an area of personal preferences and certainly TR4s
and TR6s are quite different.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602